Begin Main Content Area

Deer Management Assistance Program - DMAP


The Game Commission is offering special Deer Management Assistance Program permits for eight Enhanced Surveillance Units in order to reduce the spread of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD). The permits allow hunters to take antlerless deer in the 2020-21 hunting seasons. To learn more, please visit the CWD page.


LANDOWNERS: 2020 DMAP application time period is complete. DMAP applications for the 2021-22 hunting season will be posted by May 1, 2021. To report your DMAP harvest or no harvest, visit The Outdoor Shop.

HUNTERS: All DMAP antlerless deer permit holders are required to file a harvest report by February 2, 2021, regardless of whether they kill a deer. To report your DMAP harvest or no harvest, visit The Outdoor Shop.

During the antlered-only firearms season - November 28 to December 4 - antlerless deer also may be taken on DMAP properties with appropriate DMAP permits.

For Hunters

Hunters are responsible for acquiring the landowner information needed to participate in Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP). Neither the Game Commission, nor license-issuing agents, can provide additional landowner information other than the details available in the Participating Landowners Section.

Hunters can get DMAP harvest permits two ways. First, if a hunter receives a coupon from a landowner, the hunter will take the coupon to any license-issuing agent (or visit The Outdoor Shop) to purchase a DMAP harvest permit. Second, to obtain a DMAP harvest permit for properties where landowners choose not to hand out coupons, hunters can go to any license-issuing agent (or The Outdoors Shop) to purchase a DMAP harvest permit. Hunters utilizing this second option will need to contact the landowner (or the Game Commission's website) to get the DMAP unit number for the area they want to hunt.

Hunters can get up to two DMAP harvest permits per unit. DMAP harvest permits must be purchased from a license-issuing agent or through The Outdoors Shop. A DMAP harvest permit costs $10.90 for a resident, $35.90 for a nonresident. Each DMAP harvest permit is good for taking one antlerless deer on the property for which the DMAP harvest permit was issued.


For Landowners

DMAP provides an additional means for landowners to manage deer to meet their land-use goals. It also provides additional opportunities to the hunters who participate in the program.

Public landowners, political subdivisions, government agencies, private landowners or lessees where no fee is charged for hunting, and any defined hunting club are eligible to enroll in DMAP. Qualified landowners are issued DMAP coupons at a standard rate of one coupon for every five acres of cultivated land, or one coupon for every 50 acres of non-cultivated land. Landowners requesting more than the standard rate of permits or with fewer than 5 acres of cultivated land or fewer than 50 acres of non-cultivated land can enroll by answering five questions on the application. Landowners enrolled in DMAP are responsible for providing hunters with information about DMAP harvest permits for their property.


The application period for 2020 has passed. Applications for 2021 should be available in March and must be postmarked by May 1, 2021.


Frequently Asked Questions

1. Where can I find information on landowners participating in DMAP?
Contact information for public lands and some private lands enrolled in DMAP will be posted in the Participating Landowners Section of the Game Commission's website. For more information on Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR), bureaus of Forestry and State Parks, participation in the DMAP program visit the DMAP Section of DCNR's website.

Contact information for private landowners enrolled in DMAP will be posted on the Game Commission website only with permission of the landowner.

2. How do I get coupon?
It depends on whether the landowner is handing out coupons, or if coupons for the specific property are available to any hunter. If the landowner is handing out coupons to individual hunters, then the hunter must contact the landowner directly. If the landowner is not handing out coupons (ex. DCNR State Forests), the hunter will need to know the DMAP unit number, but will not need a coupon to get a permit.

3. For properties that do not hand out coupons, what if I don't know the DMAP unit number?
You must contact the landowner or visit the Participating Landowners Section of the Game Commission's DMAP website to get the DMAP unit number. You must know the DMAP unit number when you purchase your DMAP permit. The license issuing agent will not know this information. The Game Commission website will contain DMAP unit numbers only for property owners who choose to make their information available to the public.

4. How do I obtain a landowner's map when I am buying a DMAP permit from a POS agent or Game Commission website, but do not have a coupon from the landowner?
It is the hunter's responsibility to contact the landowner to obtain a property map. A hunter can check the Participating Landowners Section of the Game Commission's DMAP website Game Commission's website to see if the landowner has provided contact information. Otherwise, the hunter will need to contact the landowner by some other means.

5. How do I get a permit?
Hunters can purchase DMAP harvest permits at any license-issuing agent or The Outdoors Shop. No DMAP harvest permits will be issued by mail. A hunter will need either a coupon from a landowner or know the DMAP unit number when he or she purchases a DMAP permit.

6. What happens if I mail my coupon to the Game Commission?
Your coupon will be returned to you. You will need to go to any license-issuing agent or The Outdoors Shop, to purchase DMAP permits.

7. How do I report my DMAP hunting activity?
Reporting is mandatory for all DMAP harvest permits, regardless of harvest success. A hunter can report their DMAP activities using The Outdoors Shop or by sending in a postage-paid report card that can be found in the Hunting and Trapping Digest.

8. If I lose my DMAP permit, can I get a reprint or replacement?
You can go to any license-issuing agent or The Outdoors Shop, for a replacement. When you indicate you are doing a replacement, you will need to select the lost DMAP permit from the list of items that you already have been issued. The cost is $6.90 per permit replaced.

9. How can a landowner know if all of his coupons have been redeemed?
The best way for a landowner to know if coupons have been redeemed is for the landowner to communicate with the hunters he or she has provided coupons. For landowners who do not distribute coupons, the ability to check the status of coupons will not be available until later this summer or fall, because of program changes in the permit-issuing system within the automated licensing system.

10. Do landowners participating in DMAP have to allow public hunting?
No. DMAP participants, like landowners participating in Game Commission hunter access programs, have the right to limit the public’s access to their properties regardless of their participation in Game Commission programs.