Begin Main Content Area

Frequently Asked Questions

As your state's wildlife agency, we want to help clarify and simplify some of the most commonly asked Pennsylvania hunting- and wildlife-related questions.

If you have a question that isn't answered here, email us at The Hunting and Trapping Digest serves as a great resource when it comes to questions about hunting seasons and regulations.

Like you, we are passionate about our state's wildlife and it is our mission to do the best we can to manage all wild birds and wild mammals and their habitats for current and future generations. We thank you in advance for your interest and for being Pennsylvania hunters, trappers and wildlife enthusiasts.

COVID-19, Updated March 2021

For the latest information about COVID-19 in Pennsylvania, please visit the Pennsylvania Department of Health’s website at We encourage everyone to continue to take precautionary measures during this time and to continue to be safe and responsible during this unprecedented time.

Will the Game Commission Refund the Cost of My Hunting and Furtaker Licenses if I Cannot Travel Due to COVID-19-Related Restrictions?
No. Pennsylvania State law specifies that license fees are non-refundable and therefore the Game Commission does not have the authority to issue a refund.

Which Pennsylvania Game Commission Buildings and Offices are Closed?
The agency’s current building closures include the Visitors Center at Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area in Lancaster County and Howard Nursery in Centre County. More information on closures and cancellations can be found on the Coronavirus-Related Cancellations page.

Stay Safe & Healthy on State Game LandsCan the Public Access Pennsylvania State Game Lands?
Pennsylvania’s 1.6 million acres of state game lands are open for public access, at this time. Being outdoors is good health care and self care; however, recommendations for social distancing to slow the spread of COVID-19 still apply. Refer to the Pennsylvania Department of Health’s precautionary recommendations for outdoor recreation. Be safe and stay healthy!

Are Pennsylvania Game Commission State Game Wardens Still on Duty?
Absolutely, yes.
The Game Commission’s state game wardens and dispatchers are essential employees and are working and responding to wildlife emergencies and more. As a reminder, regardless of the conditions brought on by COVID-19, it remains ILLEGAL to shoot game or wildlife, and all state laws, seasons and bag limits remain in effect. Report suspected wildlife violations to the Operation Game Thief Hotline at 1-888-PGC-8001 or online.

In Response to COVID-19, is the Pennsylvania Game Commission Considering Additional Hunting Opportunities or Changes to Existing Hunting Regulations?
Absolutely, not.
The Pennsylvania Game Commission has no plans to suspend any hunting regulations, including seasons and bag limits, and game wardens will continue to enforce all state game laws. Pennsylvania’s hunting seasons, bag limits and regulations protect wildlife populations for the long-term. We will get through this pandemic together and the Game Commission appreciates the public’s compliance and support.

Contact Us Information How Can a Wildlife Emergency be Reported?
Wildlife emergency calls can be made to the office that serves the county in which the incident occurred. The phone numbers and a map can be found to the right, or by clicking here.

Is the Pennsylvania Hunter-Trapper Education Course Available Online?
Yes. Anyone, ages 11 and up, can currently register for Pennsylvania’s online Hunter-Trapper Education course. In-person classes are limited. Additional information can be found on the Hunter-Trapper Education page.

How to Purchase a License or Report a Harvest at HuntFishPA

How to purchase a hunting license or report a harvest on HuntFishPA 


More FAQs


Expand AllClick here for a more accessible version